Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish, which originated from Punjabi cuisine. This dish has a mix of mild Indian spices and creamy gravy, so it is liked not only by Indians but also by foreigner world over. For its authentic taste, the chicken is marinated for several hours in a cream and spice mix which will make it tender and tasty while eating. It is usually served with butter naan, roti (Indian flatbread) or even rice. In traditional Hindi language, it is also called Murgh Makhni.
RECIPE TYPE: Main Course
CUISINE: North Indian, Punjabi
400gm marinated chicken
2 to 3 tbsp butter
½ tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garlic paste (optional)
1tsp kasuri methi
3-4 tbsp cooking cream
1tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala
180 to 200gm karamat red gravy (cooked)
1tsp sugar, add as per taste
salt as required
- Heat butter in a pan or kadai & allow the butter to melt.
- Add ginger – garlic paste and saute the paste till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add karamat red gravy. Stir well and simmer for few minutes.
- Then add red chilli powder & grama masala and stir very well.
- Bring the gravy to a boil and then add water if required.
- Season with salt; adjust the seasoning then add sugar as required.
- When the gravy thickens a bit and you see fat specks on top, then add marinated chicken pieces. Simmer for a minutes.
- Add cooking cream, stir well and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.